At the start of Year 5 children should be able to:
- add numbers mentally, including:
- a three-digit number and 1s
- a three-digit number and 10s
- a three-digit number and 100s
- add numbers with up to 4 digits, using column method
- use inverse operations to check answers
- solve problems, including missing number problems, using number facts, place value, and more complex addition
During year 5 children will develop:
- Adding whole numbers with more than 4 digits.
EXAMPLE CALCULATION METHOD:
In order to complete a range of addition problems, children need a good understanding of the number bonds to 20.
See Links at the bottom of this page for some online games to develop basic skills and downloadable practise sheets.