Pupils should be taught to:
- add numbers mentally, including:
- a three-digit number and 1s
- a three-digit number and 10s
- a three-digit number and 100s
- add numbers with up to 3 digits (4 digits in yr4), using column method
- use inverse operations to check answers
- solve problems, including missing number problems, using number facts, place value, and more complex addition
In order to complete a range of addition problems, children need a good understanding of the number bonds to 20.
See Links at the bottom of this page for some online games.